Wednesday, October 18, 2006

It Just Shows..

I flew to the USA two months ago.No, this is not going to be a day by day account describing any sort of weirdos. As a result of me quitting the scene, mom had no timepass. No one to fight with or pamper or pull out of bed at 9 AM. Sis is still at home but valiantly resists any efforts by mom to wake her up at any time. But I digress. As I was saying, mom has lots of time on her hands. Result-Art of Living classes. Now, she has always been wary of religious groups, so you can imagine how bored she was in order to have to sign up for the course. She continued to be suspicious of them even though she was attending the classes. She was secretly liking it, I could tell, but she was always on the lookout for how they would turn commercial. On the last day of class, she was rewarded. The instructor asked them to buy a cassette(!) with hymns or bhajans or whatever and bring it as a gift to class. My mom did think the instructor should not have asked for a present for himself, but , being an obedient soul, she bought the first one she could find even though she heard a sample of the songs in the cassette and thought they were awful.But why spend time hunting for another one?

She bought it, giftwrapped it neatly , went to the school to give it to the instructor. Instructor was astonished because A) The present had not been asked as a gift for himself but for other people in the class B) another guy had done the same thing and brought the cassette as a present for the instrutor! He had a brainwave, asked them to give the gifts to each other.Problem solved. Not quite. Mom comes home and opens the package and lo and behold!( I am sure you will have guessed so dont pretend to be surprised and all ), the same cassette was staring back at her!

Mom reported this to me yesterday and I thought the story has a fable-like character to it.I have promptly exploited its potential.
So my dear children,as you now know, you will reap what you sow.

3 Comments:

Blogger the stygian sailor said...

what do u do in your free tim in USA? Apart from blogging and orkuting... by the way i ve put a link to your blog on mine

12:45 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmm.... interesting... gave a box of 'temptations' to my new neighbour[the 6 footer ;)] lets see what i get in return!

9:56 PM

 
Blogger Gauri said...

hey i spent all my money on diwali gifts, nothing for myself. did that with a lot of second thoughts and heartache though.. but it still counts, right??

9:44 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home